Monday, March 21, 2011

Make It Monday: Photo Frame Calendar

Today, I'm going to share with you how to make this really cute, really inexpensive craft project: Photo Frame Calendar. I, originally seen this on Martha Stewart. As usual, I added my own little twist to it and this is is what  you get. 




For this project, you will need: A wooden frame 8x10 (You can get one  at Walmart for 2.00), cardstock ( to print out your calendar),  2 screw hooks, a ruler, possibly a drill and small bit, and your favorite photo.

The frame I used for this project is one that I've already had and it's near and dear to me. My hubby gave it to me on my first Mother's Day.  The picture I chose for it was the first ever picture taken of my son William and I, just hours after I gave birth to him.




 Well, that baby is six now and a sports maniac.  While, pretending he was the next Larry Bird, his lay up hit my favorite picture frame and broke the back off as well as some other damage, but I just couldn't bear to throw it out.   Luckily, I remembered this project (Thanks, Martha!)




Measure an inch and a half in from the end of your frame.



Mark a little spot.  From that mark, measure 1/2 an inch from the long edge of the frame.




Mark that spot.  That will be where you make your hole for your hook screw ( bought these at the Dollar Store).





 The wood on my frame was very soft, so I was able to carefully screw the hook in with my fingers.  Do this slowly so that you keep your hook going in straight.  If the wood on your frame is not that soft, you may have to drill a hole in using a small drill bit, then screw your hook in place.




Repeat on the other side, so that each side has a hook.  Check to make sure they are even before you start to screw in your second hook.




Print out a calendar for 2011. 

Here are several sites that have some great caldendar templates.

http://www.freeprintablecalendar.net/2011/Calendar.aspx

http://www.printable2011calendar.com/

http://familycrafts.about.com/od/calendars/a/2011calendars.htm

http://www.keepandshare.com/htm/calendars/2011_calendars/free_2011_calendar.php

I printed out a full calendar with all twelve months on one sheet, but I think I am going to go back and print out monthly calendar pages.  After looking at the pictures,  I just don't care for the full calendar that much.  You decide which you like best.

Lay your frame flat and I just kind of eye balled it to make the holes on my calendar by laying it under the hooks and putting a little mark.





Using a hole punch or even a small nail, punch a hole on the mark you made on top of your calendar.

Assemble your frame back together with your favorite photo or clipart.


Now hang your frame, like you would any picture frame, anywhere you need a calendar.




Slip your calendar onto the hooks.



And you're done.  These are not only awesome and fun, but functional. Changing your photo is super easy and all in all, it should cost about $4.00 to make. That's including the cardstock and a bit for the ink to print the calendar.  They make great gifts for family, friends, and teachers.  Also, a fantastic way to showcase your budding artist's creation.





1 comment: